Thursday, February 7, 2013

Team Building

Well, working with the 6th grade at Discovery Elementary School has definitely been a learning experience. A WONDERFUL learning experience, definitely, but eye opening to say the least. SO MUCH DRAMA! It is so sad, but bullying, gossiping, and lack of respect have sort of taken over the two classes. Each student is great on an individual level, but they struggle like crazy in any group setting. I won't go into detail about what really goes on in the classroom, but let me just tell you, it is crazy. I talked to my mentor teacher... the one I had as a student teacher in 4th grade at the same school. She told me that when the now 6th graders were in 4th grade (so two years ago), they were the toughest group of kids she has taught in 32 years. SO yah. It will be a good experience for me!

My mind has not stopped stewing over what I can do to help the situation. Over the weekend, it hit me.

There are two things that I love to do more than anything. That is teaching and working at the ropes course. At the ropes course (and at Badger Creek) I was trained on how to facilitate team building activities and programs. I love teaching because I feel like I can have a powerful impact and positive influence on the youth. I love team building for the same reason. Over the last few years, I have seen how team building can completely change the dynamic of a group. It can transform self-centered youth into team players and unite even the most diverse groups. Team building increases self-esteem and inspires positive change.

So this is where the gears started spinning. I sent an email out to the 6th grade teachers and to the principal of my school, offering to start an after-school team building program for the 6th grade. I explained my qualifications, even though I know they were aware that I have done team building, since the principal had previously asked me to lead a team building inservice for the faculty and staff in the fall.

THEY WERE ALL FOR IT! I was stoked! I met with the principal today to discuss how to get my ideas in motion. I can start ASAP! We also decided to expand it to the 5th grade also. So I will let you know how everything goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment