Thursday, April 21, 2011

Justin Bieber in Guatemala

Your are probably wondering why my first post from being here in Patzicia Guatemala is about Justin Bieber. Some background information first. I live in a very very poor part of Guatemala. I also live with the poorest family in the "Zarahemla Colony". Living with them is a blessing to them, however, because we pay them for rent and laundry and we buy things from their little "tienda" downstairs. That being said, all of the colony is very poor. They live off of basically nothing. On Tuesday, my "mom", Domatila, took us to the market (kinda like a supersized farmers market( all the women were wearing traditional clothing, and were selling their vegetables and fruits and such. (FYI, in guatemala a lot of the people are literally scared of cameras. They believe that taking pictures takes or steals away part of their soul). So as I was walking through this 3rd world market place, I found it kind of humerous that I heard the familiar voice of Justin Bieber being played in the streets. Then, later that night, my "little brother", Joseph, came up to mine and Rebekahs apartment and asked if I had music on my phone (he is probably used to volunteers with cell phones). I said no, but I told him I had music on my ipod. I played Justin Bieber for Joseph, and he knew all the words! He sang "Baby" almost the whole way through. He didnt really know what he was saying, and was mostly mumbling the words, but when it came to the chorus, he clear sang "Baby, baby, baby ohhhh... baby, baby baby oh!.... I thought youd always be mine... mine.." (i cant find the apostrophy on this spanish keyboard....) Anyway. Even in third world countries, where they basically live off of nothing, Jusitin Bieber is still very famous.

1 comment: