Thursday, January 17, 2013

Employed!

When you graduate in December with a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education, your chances of getting a full time teaching job right away are slim to none, since it is the middle of the school year. I knew that when I graduated, but I just prayed to be able to find SOMETHING in a school. I didn't want to be flipping burgers. I didn't want to work in retail. I wanted to work in a school somewhere, doing something. Anything.

I feel so incredibly blessed because I was able to get a job right after Christmas. I work part time (4 hours a day) at the school I student taught at. My job title is an "overflow teacher." I will tell you what that means. At Discovery Elementary, there are two 6th grade classes. Each class has about 40 kids..... WAY too many for the classroom size and the amount of teachers. So, for 4 hours a day, I take a chunk of kids from each class and teach them math and reading up on the school stage. I have 18 kids in my class. I get to be in charge of pretty much everything with them. I am in charge of the assignments, rules, management, discipline, grades... I feel like a real teacher! It is fun. 

I will also start teaching in an after school program on January 28. That will be an extra 2 hours a day on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, working with 4th graders. I am SUPER excited about that because I miss the kids I taught during student teaching. 

Anyway, I love my new job! I hope that this job will help me have an even better chance of getting a full time teaching job for the fall. Applications/Interviews for those jobs will probably become available in April or May... we will keep our fingers crossed! 


1 comment:

  1. Congrats! So excited for you. That is insane that a class would have 40 kids.

    ReplyDelete