Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Day in a Wheel Chair

So.... today I spent 5 hours in a wheel chair for a simulation assignment in my SPED 310 class (Exceptional Students). I have to say it was one of the most physically challenging things I have done in a LONG time. There were certain requirements we had to meet, including the following:
  • use an elevator.
  • get a drink from a drinking fountain.
  • open a door by yourself.
  • use the restroom.
  • go up and down a hill.
  • get in and out of a car.
  • do not tell anyone it was a simulation.
First of all, using a restroom with a wheel chair was SUPER difficult. It took me 30 minutes to get everything figured out. Getting from the chair to the toilet is one thing... but then you realize your pants are still on....and you have zero capability of using your legs. Anyway. I'm pretty sure that was the longest and most stressful restroom experience I have ever had.

Second. Trying to open a door just made me feel like an idiot. The door closed on me 3 times before I was able to enter. WAY EMBARRASSING.

Third. I have never had a better arm work out in my life than when I had to roll myself up the hills on the BYU-Idaho campus. I had to take TONS of breaks, and it literally took me 15 minutes to get somewhere that normally takes me 5 minutes. And I was trying so hard! And going down the hill was super scary! It took me forever to realize that there are actually are hand breaks on the chair, and I didn't have to sacrifice my fingers in order to slow down haha.

Anyway. My experience was very eye-opening. I still can't believe how hard it was! I still have a few other simulations to do before the semester ends. One is I have to wear a mask that gives me a visual impairment, another is that I have to fake a speech impediment all day..... we will see how those go!


No comments:

Post a Comment