Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Las Hermanas.

Today I just had a silly flashback to one moment in my life that I very vividly remember. I started playing the piano when I was 7. (Or maybe 6? Can't remember.) One day, Kim came home (from college, I think) and said she had been learning how to play the piano too.... and she sat down and played "Choose the Right" straight from the hymn book. What? I had played the piano for at least 2 years by then, and she was already way better than me!

That almost meaningless memory reminded me of a flood of accomplishments in my life that have already been achieved by one of my two sisters. There is not much I have done in my life that one of the two of them haven't already done. For instance:

I married my best friend from high school... so did Mandi. I started out college in the health field, then switched to elementary education and am now a teacher.... so did Mandi. I was so excited for my first 4.0 semester of college.... that was a usual occurrence for Kimberly.  I played soccer ever since I was a little girl, and it was my first love in life.... same with Mandi. I taught English in a foreign country... so did Mandi. I love to work out and be fit and and try hard things like running half marathons... Kim has done two of those. One of my passions in life is team building and ropes course activities.... Mandi was the one to introduce me to that, as she worked at an indoor ropes course in Provo. I was the Key Club president in high school... hmm. So was Kim.

You get the picture. The list could go on and on. After thinking about all these things... I realized how much I totally look up to my sisters. No wonder I do everything that they have done. I want to be just like them! Maybe it is just me, but I think the age difference makes it difficult for them to see me as anything but their baby sister... But, I almost think that me taking after them and doing things that they already have done has helped me get to know them on a pretty deep level... much deeper than if I would have completely done my own thing all my life. Like seriously... I totally know that feeling that Mandi had on the soccer field playing in a state championship game... and losing... because I have felt it too. I absolutely understand the stress and determination and effort and value that Kim put into education... because I have been there now. If I hadn't done all those things, I think the decade gap would have made it difficult for me to really get to know them. So, I feel honored to be walking in their shadows. If I never do a single thing in my life that they haven't already done, that will be fine by me because they are who I look up to and want to be like. I love them and their examples to me so much.

I am proud to let you know, however, that I am closing the age gap! One day they will be in their 40s and I will be in my 30s. One day they will be in their 70s and I will be in my 60s. One day we are going to pretty much be the same age... and the fact that I was 10 when they were 20 won't really matter. It's going to be awesome!

4 comments:

  1. This post made my morning... well, really made my day. And maybe even my week. Funny thing is how great of an example you are to me! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I like your new blog design. The new "Our Story" page at the top and the change in background - it's much easier to read now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.... I actually didn't like the book background very much... so I actually just barely changed it. But thank you! I hope it is still acceptable.

      Delete
    2. Haha, yes it's still acceptable :-) It's just a lot easier to read with a solid background like you have now instead of a one that has a pattern! I need to talk to you about how you added your "pages" - your list looks way better than mine...

      Delete